Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Best Laid Plans

Exactly two weeks from today, I will be on a plane going home to California. Oh, it hurts my heart just to think about it! But don't worry your pretty little heads, oh lovely little fans of mine, this story is not over yet! I promise all of you, this is only the beginning of my journey, and I'd love it if you would continue to come along.
So here's the plan (well, tentatively)...
I fly home June 20. Once there, fingers crossed, I can get my old job back. Yes, I remember how happy I was to "retire," but it's only for a couple of months. In August, Disco Kitty and I will be road-tripping from California to my grandma and Ethan in Milton, Florida (just outside of Pensacola). On the way we will see the Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, Austin, New Orleans, and anything else that piques my interest along the way. Hopefully, Disco will not hate me for making him ride in a car of some sort (hopefully mini-van or even better, camper) for 2 to 3 weeks, but I can't stand the thought of drugging him through an airplane flight.
Once in Florida, I plan to live with Grandma and Ethan, get some sort of job (hopefully, office work), take a class or two at the college, and most importantly, convince Grandma to get her second knee surgery out of the way and support her through recovery.
In the meantime, I will be saving up for my next trip. "And what will that be?" you must be asking. Geez, you're always so nosey. Haha, well my pretties, I hope it doesn't bore you that I am not planning to go into uncharted territory just yet, but instead, I am planning to redo parts of this trip...only better.
Next March, I want to give India another try (yes, India) by attending their Holi Festival. Also known as the Festival of Colors, Holi is celebrated through most of India to mark the beginning of spring with a giant colored powder fight. If you don't come home to your hostel looking like a walking rainbow, then you haven't left the house.
After Holi, it's back to my home away from home, Chiang Mai, Thailand, to get washed off at Songkran. Thai's celebrate their new year with a giant nation-wide water fight, and I missed it this year by only two days by going to India.
I plan to stay in Chiang Mai after Songkran long enough to get certified to teach English as a second language...it's cheaper to do it here than at home. I'll then fly home to hit my 20 year high school reunion (oh god, 20 years??), then apply for jobs teaching in Laos or Cambodia. I don't think I'll have to pay for that flight back to South East Asia, because many programs pay for your flight and an apartment as long as you commit to teach for 6 months to a year.
After all that, who knows? The world is my oyster and all that jazz, right? And like I said, these plans are tentative. Anything could change and quite possibly will. I have definitely learned to let fate tell me where to go, and I have no doubt that it will. So keep following me, because we still have a long way to go!
Now here's a couple pictures of Angkor Wat to hold you over until the next blog post. Sorry I don't have more pictures of Cambodia yet, but I've spent most of the first week sitting on my butt in the hostel, thanks to a clumsy (maybe slightly intoxicated) roll of the ankle...

1 comment:

reggiedj2 said...

Welcome to a new world of happyness (^; "Let fate tell you where to go . The Grand Canyon is in my backyard (^;